Match and Pitch Condition
Weather: Showers are expected during the first half of the match so Duckworth-Lewis is likely to come into play. The sky is expected to stay cloudy throughout the match with maximum temperature expected to be 18°C (65 F).
Pitch Report: In the four matches played here in the domestic Royal Cup series, three first innings score were 300+ and the average first inning score was 312. So another high scoring game can be expected at Edgbaston.
In those four matches, three were won by the team batting first. However, if there will be rain clouds hovering around, the team winning the toss is likely to bowl first.
- Having a pace quartet that can destroy any batting line-up, they still have selection woes over the bowlers. With Mitchell Starc and Pat Cummins being the likely starter, they will have to choose either Josh Hazlewood or James Pattinson as the third pacer. Steven Smith already ruled out the possibility to play all four in the same match.
- Among the batsman, top order seems to be well settled but there is some worry in the middle order. Apart from Travis Head, who shone in the practice match against Sri Lanka, the middle order looks shaky.
- In the fast-bowling all-rounder category, Moises Henriques and Marcus Stoinis are likely to get the game.
- Glenn Maxwell and Travis Head are likely to handle to spin duties.
- They have a lot of headaches over the selection of playing XI going into this match.
- They have to choose either Luke Ronchi or Tom Latham as their wicket-keeper or maybe they go in with both of them. However, including both will mean limiting their bowling options to only five which they are unlikely to do.
- Among the all-rounders, Corey Anderson, Colin de Grandhomme, and James Neesham claim for the two open spots.
- Also, they have to choose one spinner from Mitchell Santner and Jeetan Patel. Jeetan Patel is familiar with Edgbaston track as he plays for Warwickshire and this is their home ground. In the four matches this season at Edgbaston, Jeetan Patel picked 4 wickets at an economy rate of 4.27.
- Among the fast bowlers, they will include either Adam Milne or Mitchell McClenaghan to accompany Tim Southee and Trent Boult.
Probable Playing XI: (In the Batting order)
Australia: David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith (c), Travis Head, Moises Henriques, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Wade (wk), Marcus Stoinis/John Hastings, Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood.
New Zealand: Martin Guptill, Tom Latham (wk), Kane Williamson (c), Ross Taylor, Neil Broom, Corey Anderson, James Neesham, Mitchell Santner/Jeetan Patel, Adam Milne/Mitchell McClenaghan, Tim Southee, Trent Boult.
- At the options where players are separated by slash ‘/’, the first player mentioned is the more likely to play.
Dream11 Tips for this Match
- The team I have suggested may not win surely, so try making at least 2-3 teams and include few players that I have missed in ‘My Dream11 pick’.
- Try including David Warner, Tom Latham, Glenn Maxwell, Trent Boult and Mitchell Santner in your other teams (first check out my team).
- If you are willing to take risks (especially in bigger leagues), Moises Henriques (bats at number 4 or 5) can give you some good points with his all-round ability and since only 7% people selected him (at the time of writing), he can be your wild card. Another such player is Neil Broom, comes in at number 5 and selected by 10% only.
Captain and Vice-Captain Choices
- Kane Williamson, Steven Smith, Martin Guptill, Aaron Finch, and David Warner are my top picks for captain and vice-captain. (written in the decreasing order of my choice).
- Tom Latham, Travis Head, and Moises Henriques can also be picked for captain and vice-captain as they can play long innings and if they do, you are very likely to win as very few people will be making them captain or vice-captain.
At last, any kind of suggestion is welcomed. If you want more information about anything related to playing XI, match info or Dream11, feel free to message us in the ‘contact us’ section. Your suggestions are very valuable.
My Dream11 pick
Australia: David Warner, Aaron Finch, Steven Smith (c), Moises Henriques, Travis Head, Glenn Maxwell, Matthew Wade (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Chris Lynn, James Pattinson, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa.
New Zealand: Martin Guptill, Tom Latham, Kane Williamson (c), Ross Taylor, Mitchell McClenaghan, Corey Anderson, Trent Boult, James Neesham, Neil Broom, Tim Southee, Mitchell Santner, Jeetan Patel, Luke Ronchi (wk), Adam Milne, Colin de Grandhomme.