Match and Pitch Condition
Weather is expected to be clear during the course of the match.
Pitch Condition: Although the last five first innings score in the IPL on this ground is not very promising as they read 163,135,180,164, and 149, the pitch is still expected to be batting friendly going by its recent nature. Four out of five matches were won by chasing team in last year’s IPL on this ground. So the team winning the toss is expected to take the field first.
- Gujarat have won two out of five matches played on this ground in the last season.
- Gujarat Lions have won both their matches against KKR chasing the target comfortably each time.
- Gujarat Lions have won only one out of six matches while batting first and 8 out of 10 while chasing.
- Kolkata has won 6 out of 8 times while chasing and only 2 times out of 7 while batting first in the last season of the IPL.
Probable Playing XI: (In the Batting order)
Gujarat Lions: Brendon McCullum, Aaron Finch, Suresh Raina(c), Dwayne Smith, Dinesh Karthik, Ishan Kishan, James Faulkner, Praveen Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Shivil Koushik, Shadab Jakati.
Kolkata Knight Riders: Gautam Gambhir, Robin Uthappa, Chris Lynn, Manish Pandey, Yusuf Pathan, Suryakumar Yadav, Chris Woakes, Sunil Narine, Piyush Chawla, Trent Boult, Ankit Rajpoot.
This is the most likely playing XIs for GL and KKR. However, if there are some changes in the above team, what could that be?
For Gujarat Lions:
- Jason Roy could come in place of Aaron Finch.
- Nathu Singh/Munaf Patel could come in place of Shadab Jakati/Shivil Kaushik.
For Kolkata Knight Riders:
- Ishank Jaggi could be replaced by Suryakumar Yadav.
- Kuldeep Yadav could come in place of Ankit Rajpoot.
The players who are unavailable for tomorrow’s (7th April) match are:
- Ravindra Jadeja (is expected to stay out for 2-3 matches. Will update it in next post)
- Dwayne Bravo (could be ruled out of tournament)
Kolkata Knight Riders:
- Rovman Powell (is currently selected in West Indies ODI team)
- Umesh Yadav (will miss at least couple of matches)
- Shakib Al Hasan (His T20 match for Bangladesh is completed around 18 hours before the start of GL vs KKR clash but there is still no clarity if he will join the squad before or after this match. Will update soon if there is any information on him. Most likely he will join the squad for the 2nd match of KKR).
My Dream11 pick
This could be the hardest pick in this season till date because of the batting prowess both teams carry. I tried my best and still couldn’t include some explosive batsman. I advise to make as many teams as possible for this clash and try including different combinations of the batsman.
Gujarat Lions: Brendon McCullum, Jason Roy, Suresh Raina(c), Dwayne Smith, Dinesh Karthik, Ishan Kishan, James Faulkner, Praveen Kumar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Shivil Koushik, Shadab Jakati, Aaron Finch, Nathu Singh, Akshdeep Nath, Pradeep Sangwan, Andrew Tye, Jaydev Shah, Manpreet Gony, Munaf Patel, Chirag Suri, Basil Thampi, Shubham Agarwal, Tejas Baroka, Pratham Singh, Shelley Shaurya, Ravindra Jadeja, Dwayne Bravo.
Kolkata Knight Riders: Gautam Gambhir(c), Robin Uthappa, Manish Pandey, Chris Lynn, Yusuf Pathan, Colin de Grandhomme, Ishank Jaggi, Chris Woakes, Trent Boult, Kuldeep Yadav, Piyush Chawla, Suryakumar Yadav, Sunil Narine, Ankit Rajpoot, Rishi Dhawan, Sheldon Jackson, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Darren Bravo, Sayan Ghosh, Ramsingh Yadav, Rovman Powell, Umesh Yadav, Shakib Al Hasan.